Christian Foundations Certificate
Customized Learning Courses
Distance Education courses are available to anyone interested in pursuing educational opportunities at Emmanuel. For some students, Distance Education provides a chance to begin a Bible college education either as an occasional student or to enter a program. For others, these courses supplement the in-class offerings, providing flexibility in scheduling. Students in any certificate, diploma or degree program at Emmanuel may take up to half of their courses by Distance Education.
We are available to help you plan for your education. We want you to succeed!
Distance Education Goal
To provide students with an alternative to classroom study
Start Off Right for Success
Students must be able to:
* Use email. This is the regular means of communication between the DE department and students. In addition, Populi sends course notifications and updates via email.
* Use Populi course management software. All registered students have access to this software. Video tutorials are available online.
* Open attachments and attach documents.
* Computer access and internet service
* An up-to-date browser. Populi runs best on versions such as Google Chrome 11+, Firefox 4+, Safari 5+, Internet Explorer 9+.
* Software: Students should have word processing software such as Word, or Open Office (which can be downloaded for free).
* Documents and presentations can be uploaded to Populi in a wide variety of file formats such as .doc, .docx, .pdf, .odt, .ppt. Emmanuel does not accept submissions from Sky Drive or others housed in the cloud that are working copies of documents rather than firm final copies.
Register for DE
Registration for DE courses (including online courses) is open for 5 weeks at the beginning of each DE semester. DE semesters begin each year on August 1, December 1, and April 1.
All of our 3-credit courses are expected to take approximately 90 hours of time for a student to complete, including studying and reading time.
* All of our regular DE courses are offered on a 4-month time frame. Suggested due dates are given but the schedule is flexible within the four months. You can make it work around your other commitments.
* Please note that in some syllabi, restrictions are given on the amount of work that can be submitted in any two-week period. Be sure to read your syllabus carefully as you plan your schedule.
* Online courses – Course work is completed in an 8- to 10-week time frame according to a schedule of activities delivered online. You should budget about 11-12 hours per week on average during the three months of course work.