Website Ottawa Valley Community Church
Encounter Jesus :: Be Transformed :: Share His Love
Ottawa Valley Community Church is looking to hire a full-time Youth/Associate Pastor whose primary responsibilities would include youth ministry, pastoral care, and monthly preaching support. As a part of a small, flexible, vibrant growing community, duties may include a variety of other ministry experiences and development opportunities.
ASSOCIATE PASTOR DUTIES: 50%
We are looking for support with pastoral care and monthly teaching.
Pastoral Care: Provides pastoral care to the congregation, support for group leaders, home and hospital visits and other opportunities for care.
- Support and uphold the OVC Elders in their role as lay pastors to the community.
- Committed to multiplying care by equipping and empowering others to care wherever possible.
- Care for small group leaders and availability for home and hospital visitation.
- Maintain and develop communication channels to help ensure needs are known and addressed and partner with outside agencies as appropriate.
Preaching Assistance: Preaching at OVC Sunday services once per month and on other occasions as discussed with the Senior Pastor.
- Committed to integrity in providing solid biblical teaching in alignment with the OVC Statement of Faith.
- Prayerfully seek to understand the needs of the congregation so that messages may be appropriately contextualized for the body.
- Encourages a culture in which biblical teaching is applied and valued as our primary guide for faith and practice.
- Willing to communicate themes and texts in advance in order to coordinate with worship teams for service planning.
Miscellaneous Duties: This section recognizes “whole church and whole person” activities that go beyond work that contributes directly to a leader’s area of responsibility.
- Attendance at church services, planned church social gatherings and leadership meetings: The church staff has an “all-hands-on-deck” attitude at these gatherings and is generally present working alongside our volunteers from setup through tear-down.
- Professional development and experience in new areas of ministry in discussion with the Senior Pastor.
- Attention to prayer, devotion and personal bible study.
YOUTH PASTOR DUTIES: (50%)
We are looking to hire both a spiritual and organizational leader who will provide pastoral leadership and administrative oversight to OVC’s youth ministry. To be successful in this position, the Youth Pastor will work to provide a place where students feel they can belong, believe the good news, trust in the scriptures and become lifelong disciples of Christ.Under the direction of the Senior Pastor, the Youth Pastor will:
- Partner with parents and youth leaders in discipling youth.
- Consistently engage students with the good news of the gospel.
- Support them in developing their love for Jesus and others.
- Value the whole body of Christ, guiding young people to be active participants in the whole life of the church.
Youth Events: Responsible for facilitating weekly junior/senior youth events, including games, worship, teaching, discussion and prayer.
- Teaching: Oversees biblical curriculum coordination and development under the direction of the OVC SLT.
- Worship: Support the development of the weekly youth worship encounter through scheduling worship leaders or leading and or developing a youth worship team.
- Games and Hospitality: Cultivate a fun, safe and welcoming environment where our youth can grow in relationships with others and with Jesus.
- Discussion: Help with preparing small group interactive discussions on various topics related to the teaching.
- Prayer: Cultivate time and an atmosphere of prayer.
- Additional may include the development of a peer leadership team, “Going Deeper” events and possible Youth Retreats.
Ministry Leadership: Recruits, leads, disciples, and equips the team that supports youth ministry:
- Leadership/Oversight: Recruits and manages youth ministry volunteers including planning and scheduling in Planning Centre Software and compliance with our Plan to Protect policy.
- Strategy: Develops and maintains an overall strategy and plan for Youth Ministry in coordination with the mission and values of the whole church.
- Maintains relationships with the greater body for the purpose of identifying volunteers who are gifted and called to youth ministry.
- Encourage the dual focus of modelling faithful practical service as well as spiritual care and discipleship.
- Trains and equips as needed.
- Maintains awareness of pastoral care and discipleship needs of volunteers.
QUALIFICATIONS: A clear testimony of faith in Jesus Christ and a vital, growing relationship with Him.
- Post-secondary education, preferably in biblical studies or Christian ministry.
- Substantial agreement with OVC statement of faith, core values and ministry goals.
- Demonstrates the ability to lead by example, equip and disciple.
- Articulates and lives into a Gospel-centred, missional understanding of the church.
- Places a high value on the unity of the church endeavouring to honour leaders and respect all members of the body of Christ; striving to tactfully and honouringly unite people with varying perspectives in order to advance unity and love and to achieve common goals.
- Teachable, flexible, life-long learner open to feedback and accountability.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Understands the needs and has an affinity for young people, recognizing the messiness of youth ministry and the flexibility that is sometimes required.
- Proficient with computer applications and social media.
- Strong time and people management skills.
- Maintains a pleasant and personable attitude with staff, volunteers and congregation.
- Uses professionalism and discretion; maintains confidentiality at all times and maintains a high level of excellence and quality.
- Models a strong work ethic while maintaining a healthy balance between God, self, family and ministry.
- Embodies and nurtures the intergenerational vision held by the OVC Community.
Note: A pastor’s job description can be an intimidating thing and often imply that only those with superpowers need apply. At OVC, we strive to balance striving for excellence with an atmosphere of grace and passion to develop people. A successful candidate will have a strong inner drive to glorify God through excellence in service while maintaining a humble and teachable attitude that recognizes one’s flaws and imperfections, is willing to take risks and is keen to grow and develop as a servant of God.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.