Website Pleasant Bay Adventure Camp
Away from home, relational, safe , faith-centred & particpatory
Reports To: Camp Director
Period: July & August
Salary: $600.00 – $700.00 per week
Located in the heart of Prince Edward County, the scenic waterfront property is surrounded by water, Lake Ontario, North Beach and Pleasant Bay, a truly magnificent location! Pleasant Bay is a youth-focused high adventure Christian camp that exists to give our children a memorable summer experience, helping them discover, live, and share the good news found only in Christ. For sixty years, Pleasant Bay achieved our mission while having fun, building relationships, fostering leadership and skills development for our campers and staff.
The primary role of the Head Cook is to plan, organize and provide nutritious meals for the campers, staff and volunteers while overseeing the food preparation and dining room management. The Head Cook sets the tone and culture of the kitchen, and ultimately the camp. The Head Cook leads by example, ensuring all the health and safety policies and procedures are followed for camper safety while fostering positive experiences. The goal is to provide a Christ-centred, safe and fun environment for campers and staff. The Head Cook will provide morning devotions to the kitchen staff, beginning the day in prayer.
- Knowledge of Food Services Standards & Regulations – Understanding of the general functioning and safety standards of a commercial kitchen. Ensure food is properly stored and refrigerated, regular check of freezer temperature.
- Menu Planning – Provides balanced and nutritious meals, food purchases and receiving of deliveries.
- Familiar With Dietary Restrictions – Knowledge regarding the preparation of food for individuals who are gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian, and vegan and more. Understanding of the risks associated with allergies with special diets.
- Stewardship of Resources – Able to effectively plan for cost effective meals, including price comparison and leftover usage.
- Model Godly Character – Practice regular prayer and encouragement, resolve conflicts in a loving way, be good stewards of the site and ensure staff and campers are cared for.
- Organized – Plans in advance, anticipates needs and priorities tasks and assigns appropriately.
- Problem Solver – Remains calm under pressure and deals with challenging situations wisely and selflessly.
- Team Player – Participates in summer staff training and team meetings.
- Food Handlers Certificate – Considered an asset to have completed.
- Experience – Previous experience cooking for large groups is an asset.
- Be a Christian – Demonstrate a mature Godly character, with a desire and ability to care for children with kindness and respect.
- Be Servant-Hearted – Have a servant attitude, being flexible and willing to pitch in and assist as part of the team.
- Be a Good Communicator – Demonstrate strong communication skills with parents and guardians, suppliers, children, staff, and other guests.
- Be Enthusiastic & Approachable – Present an upbeat and pleasant personality with a helpful attitude towards all.
- Be a Problem Solver – Remain calm under pressure and deal with challenging situations wisely and selflessly.
- Be a Good Listener – Create a safe space and be attentive to the needs of others.
- Be Willing to Grow – Be a teachable person of integrity.
- Police Check – Must have a current police check.
Conditions of Work & Benefits
You will be provided with accommodation on property as well as all your meals while employed. Working at Camp is physically demanding, with long stretches on the go without a break. Daily time off will be scheduled by the Director. Weekly time off begins on Saturdays when all closing day duties are completed. It ends at the beginning of the Family Camp chapel on Sunday mornings.
You will agree to understand Pleasant Bay Adventure Camp Statement of Faith, Mission Statement, Values, Vision, and Code of Conduct and uphold them while serving on our team.
If you would like to apply for the position, send a cover letter and resume to Nick Dorazio, Camp Director, by email at email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.