Website Yonge Street Mission
Yonge Street Mission (YSM) is a vibrant, non-profit Christian organization leading a collective movement to end chronic poverty in Toronto. Since 1896, we’ve worked to transform the lives of people living with poverty, going beyond immediate needs by offering wrap-around support via holistic programs and services, and a pathway which enables street-involved youth, families in need, adults experiencing poverty and vulnerable communities to move from surviving to thriving.
To make this happen, we are passionate about investing in the people we work with, and look for a diverse range of staff who are key for us to advance our mission: Christians who have a heart for neighbours in need, a desire to transform the lives of our community members, and who believe in treating everyone with dignity and respect.
If you are inspired by our vision and feel a true call to contribute to YSM’s work, we’d love to hear from you.
What We Offer:
As a staff member at YSM, some of the things you can look forward to include a values-based and highly collaborative and engaging work environment with a high value on staff’s mental health and well-being; meaningful, innovative and impactful work, with opportunities to make a difference in the lives of children, families, and the community. Our competitive Total Rewards compensation package also includes Group RRSP matching, annual leave and paid personal days, comprehensive health and dental care coverage, an Employee and Family Assistance Program that includes counselling services by Christian professionals, and numerous other perks.
We are seeking a Kitchen Assistant at the Yonge Street Mission-Evergreen location. If you enjoy providing support to a wide variety of street-involved youth through serving in the kitchen department, then this is your opportunity! You will develop skills in: working in a kitchen environment, building relationships with volunteers and student placements, and connecting with hard-to-reach populations, an environment where we value journeying with and empowering community members towards life goals. The Kitchen is a major reason youth value our space as we provide nourishment for them in the journey.
- The primary role is to assist the Evergreen Kitchen Coordinator in all tasks involved, so that the cook can provide daily meals to our community members.
- Heavy lifting of daily deliveries, cleaning dishes, organizing pantry, and serving meals.
- Cultivate excellent working relationships with community members, staff, food donors and suppliers- foster cooperation, effective communication and unity of purpose between food services programs and other Evergreen Services programs.
- Maintain a clean, welcoming, user-friendly efficient kitchen environment, which is used by multiple groups.
- Good English communication skills, both oral and written.
- Good interpersonal skills, conflict resolution skills, and problem solving skills.
- Able to follow instructions.
- With self-initiative and ability to work independently or with less supervision.
- Must be 18 years old or older and able to commit at least 20-22.5 hours a week. Days to be discussed.
- Demonstrated personal commitment to YSM’s principles of faith, mission and values.
Deadline for Application: This posting will remain open until the position is filled.
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Learn more about YSM at www.ysm.ca
Date Posted: November 28, 2023