Website Yonge Street Mission
Yonge Street Mission (YSM) is a vibrant, non-profit Christian organization leading a collective movement to end chronic poverty in Toronto. Since 1896, we’ve worked to transform the lives of people living with poverty, going beyond immediate needs by offering wrap-around support via holistic programs and services, and a pathway which enables street-involved youth, families in need, adults experiencing poverty and vulnerable communities to move from surviving to thriving.
To make this happen, we are passionate about investing in the people we work with, and look for a diverse range of staff who are key for us to advance our mission: Christians who have a heart for neighbours in need, a desire to transform the lives of our community members, and who believe in treating everyone with dignity and respect.
If you are inspired by our vision and feel a true call to contribute to YSM’s work, we’d love to hear from you.
What We Offer:
As a staff member at YSM, some of the things you can look forward to include a values-based and highly collaborative and engaging work environment with a high value on staff’s mental health and well-being; meaningful, innovative and impactful work, with opportunities to make a difference in the lives of children, families, and the community, as well as flexible hybrid work arrangements. Our competitive Total Rewards compensation package also includes Group RRSP matching, annual leave and paid personal days, comprehensive health and dental care coverage, an Employee and Family Assistance Program that includes counselling services by Christian professionals, and numerous other perks.
We are seeking multiple Casual Relief/On Call,Youth Drop-In Workers. The Youth Drop-In Worker will work with street-involved youth in a dynamic drop-in setting (Evergreen Centre for Street Youth ages 16-24), small groups and one on one; supporting, advising, advocating, accompanying, and encouraging youth as they make choices to move to healthier lifestyles. The Youth Drop-In Worker will assist in referring youth to services related to housing, health care, employment, etc. If you enjoy engaging with a wide variety of street-involved youth, feel God’s calling to build a career in a drop-in setting, and desire to make a significant impact on this vibrant, diverse community, this is your opportunity!
You will practice skills in building relationships with hard-to-reach populations, and crisis intervention, and work in an environment where we value journeying with and empowering community members.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Building meaningful relationships with street-involved/at-risk youth who access Evergreen services and challenging them to seek their full potential
- Providing effective intervention in crisis situations
- Assisting with support to programs, community member case notes, etc.
- Refer and accompany youth to appropriate services
The successful candidate will have the following skills and training:
- Demonstrated knowledge in working with street-involved/at-risk youth from culturally diverse backgrounds
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to engage with a wide variety of personality types
- Drop-In service delivery experience with youth (age 16-24) who are street-involved and socially isolated
- Ability to manage crisis situations
- Strong conflict resolution skills, crisis intervention expertise
- Knowledge of Anti-Black Racism (ABR) framework and Trauma Informed Care
- Post-secondary education in the social service field (preferred)
- A Police Check will be required/First Aid training is an asset
- Demonstrated personal commitment to YSM’s principles of faith, mission and values
Deadline For Application: This posting will remain open until the position is filled.
Starting Date: ASAP
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Learn more about YSM at www.ysm.ca
Date Posted: July 27, 2023
To apply for this job please visit ysm.bamboohr.com.