Website Yonge Street Mission
Yonge Street Mission (YSM) is a vibrant, non-profit Christian organization leading a collective movement to end chronic poverty in Toronto. Since 1896, we’ve worked to transform the lives of people living with poverty, going beyond immediate needs by offering wrap-around support via holistic programs and services, and a pathway which enables street-involved youth, families in need, adults experiencing poverty and vulnerable communities to move from surviving to thriving.
To make this happen, we are passionate about investing in the people we work with, and look for a diverse range of staff who are key for us to advance our mission: Christians who have a heart for neighbours in need, a desire to transform the lives of our community members, and who believe in treating everyone with dignity and respect.
If you are inspired by our vision and feel a true call to contribute to YSM’s work, we’d love to hear from you.
What We Offer:
As a staff member at YSM, some of the things you can look forward to include a values-based and highly collaborative and engaging work environment with a high value on staff’s mental health and well-being; meaningful, innovative and impactful work, with opportunities to make a difference in the lives of children, families, and the community, as well as flexible hybrid work arrangements. Our competitive Total Rewards compensation package also includes Group RRSP matching, annual leave and paid personal days, comprehensive health and dental care coverage, an Employee and Family Assistance Program that includes counselling services by Christian professionals, and numerous other perks.
YSM is seeking a full-time, permanent Care Management Specialist (Tenant Case Manager) to support YSM’s transitional housing program, Genesis Place. The Care Management Specialist (Tenant Case Manager) is responsible for wrap-around individualized case management for tenants impacted by chronic poverty in a manner that demonstrates God’s love, peace and justice to those living on low incomes and struggling to overcome systemic and personal barriers. The Care Management Specialist (Tenant Case Manager) will support tenants moving forward on the supportive pathway to holistic transformation, offering care management support, housing stabilization, system navigation, and support for daily living and ultimately work towards supporting tenants for a successful transition out of Genesis Place. This is a great opportunity if you are interested in housing work that allows for in-depth and long term client support, goal setting, and transformative practice. The position will report to the Manager of Housing and will be able to constructively and strategically contribute to program development for best results and outcomes.
Care Management Duties:
- Provide Client-centred, trauma informed, personalized coaching/micro-counselling
- Create individualized action plan collaboratively with client to work towards goals related to education, employment, budgeting, life skills, housing stabilization, supports for children and finding housing solutions for beyond Genesis Place
- Offer regular ongoing support and accountability for clients through in office, email, telephone or virtual check ins with the expectation that after hours crisis calls may occur or support may be needed from GP
- Housing Management in addressing an after-hours crisis
- Assist in the completion of applications to Rent Geared to Income Housing, SPP applications, priority transfers and other housing application options
- Provide advocacy and system navigation support (call with client, call on behalf of client or even accompany client to meetings – depending on the situation)
- Provide of crisis intervention and/or conflict resolution services
- Assist clients with moving to another unit or household in a dignified, organized manner
- Utilize of housing stabilization protocols and eviction prevention techniques
- Maintain appropriate documentation for statistical purposes, and to ensure accuracy of clients’ files; this includes letters
- Measure, assess, and document quarterly TIMES updates
- Attend Case Conference with other Care Managers who referred tenant into GP for subject matter expertise consultation
Community Program Duties:
- Facilitate and create community-based programs, with community building in mind to engage and build tenant community at GP
- Utilize various platforms and resources to deliver culturally appropriate workshops and services and/or life skills programs, working collaboratively with other agencies where applicable
- Develop and teach courses with tenants related to workplace readiness, life skills, soft skills and daily living habits
- Collaborate with Mental Health, Food, Housing, and Employment for joint course offerings
- Gather information from external resources, committees, community meetings and workshops to increase the knowledge-base for the clients and the housing department
- Provide training and support to students and volunteers engaged in leading courses
- Deliver strength-based programs, focusing on the goals/needs of the client(s)
Housing Team Duties:
- Attend briefings and Housing Department meetings
- Actively support Student Placements, involving them in the work of GP tenant support and community programming
- Attend planning sessions, retreats and trainings
- Schedule appointments, meeting and case conferences with other staff as necessary
- Participate in Housing Strategy meetings and assist in team support efforts for system navigation, self-care, problem solving and mutual support
- B.A., B.S.W, S.S.W or relevant education and experience in social services, community development or related field
- Masters of Social Work or a related field (asset)
- 4 years’ experience working with, marginalized women, men and families, youth and children from culturally diverse backgrounds
- 4 years’ or more experience with social services, preferably with people of low–income and marginalized people
- Knowledge of Toronto Housing Supports and Housing System Navigation
- Experience working in housing provision, housing help and/or the equivalent considered an asset
- Good interpersonal, written and verbal communication, conflict-resolution and crisis – intervention skills are required
- Strong problem-solving abilities and group skills (essential)
- Creative program planning (asset)
- Satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Police Records Check
- Emergency First Aid/CPR certification
- Self-motivated, with an element of vision for the potential of the job
- Working knowledge of the RTA, LTB and OW/ODSP framework
- Multicultural experience (asset)
- Personal commitment to Jesus Christ
- A demonstrated commitment to the faith, values and mission of YSM
Deadline for Application: December 23, 2022
Start Date: ASAP
Your resume and cover letter should articulate your alignment with the above qualifications, and why YSM’s values, principles of faith and mission uniquely resonate with you.
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Learn more about YSM at www.ysm.ca
Date Posted: November 4, 2022
To apply for this job please visit ysm.bamboohr.com.