Website Yonge Street Mission
Yonge Street Mission (YSM) is a vibrant, non-profit Christian organization leading a collective movement to end chronic poverty in Toronto. Since 1896, we’ve worked to transform the lives of people living with poverty, going beyond immediate needs by offering wrap-around support via holistic programs and services, and a pathway which enables street-involved youth, families in need, adults experiencing poverty and vulnerable communities to move from surviving to thriving.
To make this happen, we are passionate about investing in the people we work with, and look for a diverse range of staff who are key for us to advance our mission: Christians who have a heart for neighbours in need, a desire to transform the lives of our community members, and who believe in treating everyone with dignity and respect.
If you are inspired by our vision and feel a true call to contribute to YSM’s work, we’d love to hear from you.
What We Offer:
As a staff member at YSM, some of the things you can look forward to include a values-based and highly collaborative and engaging work environment with a high value on staff’s mental health and well-being; meaningful, innovative and impactful work, with opportunities to make a difference in the lives of children, families, and the community, as well as flexible hybrid work arrangements. Our competitive Total Rewards compensation package also includes Group RRSP matching, annual leave and paid personal days, comprehensive health and dental care coverage, an Employee and Family Assistance Program that includes counselling services by Christian professionals, and numerous other perks.
We are seeking a Community Development Specialist focused on social transformation in the communities where YSM works. The successful candidate will represent YSM with key stakeholders in the community including resident leaders and local agency partners. They will work to discover opportunities, build the capacity of community leaders, provide backbone support to key projects, and facilitate conversations for strategic partnerships and collaboration between stakeholders that will lead to transformative and collaborative initiatives based on a community development model. This position will work within the structure of YSM’s Community Development and leverage our existing services and external partnerships.
- Support the YSM Community Development team and community-based groups to deliver on their mandates through capacity building and strategic partnerships
- Champion the refinement and application of YSM Community Development tools through strategic partnerships and capacity building
- Initiate and cultivate strong relationships with an atmosphere for active collaboration and synergy among key supporters, partners, and other community stakeholders toward the support of collectively-built strategies, exploring shared responsibilities, and coordinating sustainable delivery models
- Represent YSM at neighbourhood and network tables, facilitate and support strategic conversations with resident leaders and agency partners
- Ability to review research materials as needed in order to participate and facilitate conversations with other stakeholders and to move initiatives forward
- Recruit, train, and supervise volunteers, and other administrative reporting as necessary
- Actively establish YSM’s Christian presence and identity in the neighborhood selected to serve, by knowing and being known by the community
- Post-secondary education combined with 3- 5 years’ experience or equivalent academic training in Asset Based Community/International Development, Partnership Brokering, Social Work, or Urban Studies
- Self-starter with strong facilitation, community engagement, cross-cultural competence, and neighbourhood organizing skills, as well as an ability to work with a high degree of independence
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a strong ability to build partnerships, and strategically guide conversations
- Ability to and experience working with complex materials translating them into community-friendly formats for the purpose of capacity building
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated ability to synthesize complex information for a variety of audiences
- Ability to support groups towards shared goals and outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to apply an advanced knowledge related to the social, emotional and health-related barriers affecting vulnerable populations
- Strong understanding of the factors and challenges contributing to poverty in Toronto
- A police check will be required. First Aid training is an asset
- Demonstrated personal commitment to YSM’s principles of faith, mission and values
Deadline for Application: March 24, 2023
Start Date: April 2023
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Learn more about YSM at www.ysm.ca
Date Posted: March 3, 2023
To apply for this job please visit ysm.bamboohr.com.