Website Yonge Street Mission
Yonge Street Mission (YSM) is a vibrant, non-profit Christian organization leading a collective movement to end chronic poverty in Toronto. Since 1896, we’ve worked to transform the lives of people living with poverty, going beyond immediate needs by offering wrap-around support via holistic programs and services, and a pathway which enables street-involved youth, families in need, adults experiencing poverty and vulnerable communities to move from surviving to thriving.
To make this happen, we are passionate about investing in the people we work with, and look for a diverse range of staff who are key for us to advance our mission: Christians who have a heart for neighbours in need, a desire to transform the lives of our community members, and who believe in treating everyone with dignity and respect.
If you are inspired by our vision and feel a true call to contribute to YSM’s work, we’d love to hear from you.
What We Offer:
As a staff member at YSM, some of the things you can look forward to include a values-based and highly collaborative and engaging work environment with a high value on staff’s mental health and well-being; meaningful, innovative and impactful work, with opportunities to make a difference in the lives of children, families, and the community, as well as flexible hybrid work arrangements. Our competitive Total Rewards compensation package also includes Group RRSP matching, annual leave and paid personal days, comprehensive health and dental care coverage, an Employee and Family Assistance Program that includes counselling services by Christian professionals, and numerous other perks.
We are seeking a Supervisor for our Food Bank at our 270 Gerrard Street East Davis Centre, in the Regent Park community. If you enjoy providing support to a diverse community of people struggling with Food Insecurity in a dignified client centred framework, then this is the job for you! You will develop skills in: food procurement and inventory, team management, budgeting, work in the kitchen environment, build relationships with staff, volunteers and student placements, and connect with hard-to-reach populations, an environment where we value journeying with and empowering community members towards life goals. The Food Bank is a major reason residents in the Downtown East value our space, as we provide nourishment for them in the journey.
- The primary role of the Food Bank Supervisor is to manage food provision to over 4000 people that access the Food Bank
- Must be very organized, able to plan in advance, and calm under pressure
- Heavy lifting of daily deliveries, cleaning dishes, organizing pantry and other storage areas, inventory, food procurement, managing people schedules, and participant bi weekly appointments
- Cultivate excellent working relationships with community members, staff, food donors and suppliers foster cooperation, effective communication and unity of purpose between the Food Bank and other services in our wrap-around care model of support at YSM
- Maintain a clean, welcoming, user-friendly efficient environment which is used by multiple groups
- Foster Nutritional education for community members
- Demonstrated personal commitment to the Yonge Street Mission’s Christian Faith, mission and values
- Proficient in computer platforms like Google Suite, Microsoft Office, etc…
- Good English communication skills, both oral and written
- Good interpersonal skills, conflict resolution skills, and problem solving skills
- Able to give clear instructions to a diverse group of people
- With self-initiative and ability to work independently
- Must be 18 years old or older, able to commit at least 37.5 hours a week Monday – Friday
Deadline For Application: September 8, 2023
Starting Date: ASAP
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Learn more about YSM at www.ysm.ca
Date Posted: August 8, 2023
To apply for this job please visit ysm.bamboohr.com.