Website Yonge Street Mission
Yonge Street Mission (YSM) is a vibrant, non-profit Christian organization leading a collective movement to end chronic poverty in Toronto.
Since 1896, we’ve worked to transform the lives of people living with poverty, going beyond immediate needs by offering wrap-around support via holistic programs and services, and a pathway which enables street-involved youth, families in need, adults experiencing poverty and vulnerable communities to move from surviving to thriving.
To make this happen, we are passionate about investing in the people we work with, and look for a diverse range of staff who are key for us to advance our mission: Christians who have a heart for neighbours in need, a desire to transform the lives of our community members, and who believe in treating everyone with dignity and respect.
If you are inspired by our vision and feel a true call to contribute to YSM’s work, we’d love to hear from you.
What We Offer:
As a staff member at YSM, some of the things you can look forward to include a values-based and highly collaborative and engaging work environment with a high value on staff’s mental health and well-being; meaningful, innovative and impactful work, with opportunities to make a difference in the lives of children, families, and the community, as well as flexible hybrid work arrangements. Our competitive Total Rewards compensation package also includes Group RRSP matching, annual leave and paid personal days, comprehensive health and dental care coverage, an Employee and Family Assistance Program that includes counselling services by Christian professionals, and numerous other perks.
The Volunteer Resources Department (VR) develops and provides recruitment, training, and management of YSM’s valuable resource – volunteers. Our volunteers and student placements are crucial to the daily activities of YSM as they allow YSM to deepen and extend our work on behalf of, and with our community members who are experiencing poverty in Toronto.
To help support our goals as an organization, we are seeking a Volunteer Resources Coordinator who can inspire, recruit, and support specialized volunteers who journey with our community members through mentorship and student placements, on their path to stability. This is a permanent full-time position.
Reporting to the Manager, Volunteer Resources, this role will provide effective and positive volunteer-staff and volunteer-community relations, to strategically expand YSM’s program capacity, improve outcomes through volunteer engagement, and overall positively impact YSM’s strategic goals.
1. YSM engages with hundreds to thousands of volunteers, depending on the year, from occasional experiences to regularly committed volunteers which ensure the work of YSM continues in the community. This individual will recruit, train, and place well selected, screened volunteers, support volunteers & Volunteer Resources committee volunteers in their roles. Responsibilities include:
- Best practice volunteer recruitment, processing, and support – engaging all components of the volunteer management cycle, all in realization of the CCVI (Canadian Code for Volunteer Involvement)
- Support of Student Awards Committee & related initiatives (i.e. Student Awards nights, mentorship evenings, etc.)
- Support of volunteers in other areas of the organization as required from time to time
2. To coordinate, support, and expand YSM’s existing mentorship program to support YSM departments and community members. To ensure mentors are well-supported and thoughtfully integrated into programs across the organization.
- This includes outreach, recruitment, and screening of potential volunteer mentors
- Ensure appropriate onboarding, training, and support groups for mentors, are active throughout the year
- Must have a good sense of interpersonal dynamics and the ability to pair mentors with the right mentee based on interests and backgrounds
- Provide ongoing support to mentors throughout their time, including problem-solving and tracking progress
- Collaborate with other YSM staff to ensure mentorships are supporting community members to thrive and in making positive moves forward in their lives
3. To appropriately select, screen, and support student placements, and liaise with YSM staff who engage student placements. Will be an influential, open and agreeable liaison between post-secondary institutions and YSM. Duties will include:
- Pre-screening, training & onboarding student placements
- Maintain & create successful models for student placements across the organization
- Ensure all legally binding paperwork is up to date to ensure the best experience for both the students and YSM
4. Ensure all administrative components of this role are managed efficiently and thoroughly towards successful completion and advancement of the Volunteer Resources Team goals and YSM’s objectives to break the cycle of chronic poverty within one generation. This includes:
- Maintaining up-to-date information in our volunteer management software VolunteerHub (VHub), which includes data entry, as well as updating pages and occasional statistics
- In collaboration with the VR team, provide day to day support in executing volunteer resources department deliverables, which includes managing office volunteers and student placements
- Representing YSM at internal and external events as required
- Post-secondary education combined with 3-5 years of experience in Human Services, Psychology, Social Work, Volunteer Management, Human Resources, Recruiting, etc.
- Volunteer management certificate, certification, or equivalent an asset
- Direct experience working with and coordinating volunteers through the entire volunteer management cycle (screening, onboarding, retention, etc.)
- Proven track record to foster solid relationships and create ongoing engagement and partnerships with post-secondary institutions, organizations, corporations, and faith communities
- Superb oral, written and listening skills, excellent grammar, and self-editing skills
- Ability to build training materials and other applications for theories related to mentoring
- Strong computer skills, including understanding CRM’s, and VolunteerHub knowledge is an asset
- Cultural competence/bias awareness/anti-oppression principles: the ability to work positively, supportively, respectfully and competently within a multi-faith and multi-cultural environment respecting and celebrating individuals from a variety of: socio-economic backgrounds, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages and an ability diverse population
- Comfort with and experience in public speaking and addressing groups in an lively, informative, and engaging manner
- Personal qualities needed for this key role: boundless energy, discretion, diplomacy, patience, positivity, compassion, acute awareness of interpersonal dynamics, adaptability, ability to ask good questions, to work collegially and cooperatively with and across teams, and an ability to stay calm and positive, and creative problem-solving
- Experience in the non-profit sector, an understanding of and sensitivity to those who live with poverty, passion for social justice, and desire to put your faith into action
- Able to work with minimal supervision, able to envision and interpret the big picture
- Keeping people informed, and on track, and thinking outside the box and strategically comes naturally
- Ability to engage simultaneous tasks, multiple deadlines, the unique challenges of interacting with a diverse community, and a broader YSM team who are at an arm’s length from Team VR
- Model yourself as a Jesus follower – model a positive and demonstrable Christian presence and vibrant Christian practice
Deadline for Application: Until Position Is Filled
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Learn more about YSM at www.ysm.ca
Date Posted: January 6, 2023