Yonge Street Mission (YSM) is a vibrant, local Christian development agency that is leading a collective movement – going beyond meeting immediate needs – offering holistic programs and a pathway to transform the lives of people living with poverty in Toronto.
Since 1896, YSM has provided wraparound support and services, making it possible for individuals, families, and communities to move forward. We believe if we combine our collective resources and wisdom, together we can reach our goal of ending chronic poverty in a generation. If you are inspired by our vision and feel a true calling to contribute to our work in transforming the lives of people living with poverty in Toronto from merely surviving to thriving, then this is where you belong.
YSM is seeking a casual, part-time Receptionist/Intake Worker to support our Shared Administrative Services Department as we work to achieve our ambitious goal to end chronic poverty in Toronto in one generation. The incumbent will provide excellent, welcoming, efficient, and professional receptionist and client referral on a casual/on-call basis. The hours can be up to 20 hours per week with the expectation to work additional hours as needed. The successful candidate will communicate with people at all levels, support the community and provide administrative support for the Shared Administrative Services Manager.
The Receptionist Duties:
- Handle the reception areas, phone calls, visitors and mail, extending a warm welcome, handling conflict and creating a relaxed peaceful environment
- Answer basic inquiries, redirect calls, visitors, faxes, handle crowd flow and door security
- Make food bank, clinic appointments and provide relief supplies for community members
- Update PowerPoint slides, displays and bulletin boards
- Utilize various Microsoft software to produce material, input and maintain data in various databases
- Handle gifts-in-kind donations and courier/mail deliveries
- Keep informed to provide relevant, information to staff, volunteers and program participants
- Be an active team member of the wider YSM community
- Respond to emergency situations in accordance with YSM safety and security policies and procedures; including assessing when to call for assistance and back-up
The Receptionist/Administrative Assistant Qualifications:
- Good telephone voice, pleasant, tactful, diplomatic and friendly manner
- Strong interpersonal skills, and verbal and written business English communication skills
- At least five years of experience with office administration
- Prompt, reliable, self-motivated, conscientious and innovative
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office software, database and internet
- Experience working in a multicultural, multi-faith setting, and those with multiple challenges
- Ability to keep composure and prioritize effectively during high-stress periods and situations
- Ability to professionally and compassionately handle confidential, sensitive material
- Training in crisis prevention intervention and CPR First Aid is an asset
- A demonstrated commitment to the principles of faith values and mission of YSM
- A Police Record Check is required
Deadline for Application: May 18, 2022
Your resume and cover letter should articulate your alignment with the above qualifications, and why YSM’s values, principles of faith and mission uniquely resonate with you.
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Learn more about YSM at www.ysm.ca
Date Posted: April 29, 2022
To apply for this job please visit ysm.bamboohr.com.