Emmanuel has been monitoring the developing situation related to the 2019 Coronavirus (COVID-19). Emmanuel will follow the advice of the Region of Waterloo Public Health and Emergency Services, who are working with the Public Health Agency of Canada, the Ministry of Health, Public Health Ontario, and other health-care providers and agencies to monitor the situation and coordinate actions as appropriate. Our goal is to preserve and protect the academic experience and safety of the College community and workplace environment.
Please note that:
- All hand-sanitizer stations on campus have been inspected and refilled where necessary.
- Additional access to hand sanitizer will be provided in student spaces, classrooms, and offices. A shortage of needed supplies is currently being addressed, and new stations will be set up as the supplies become available.
- Enhanced environment cleaning is being implemented under guidelines from the Waterloo Regional Health Unit.
- Notices will be posted at entry points to instruct employees, students, and visitors about how they can help stop the spread of germs.
Symptoms and Treatment
Symptoms range from mild—like the flu and other common respiratory infections—to severe and can include:
- Difficulty breathing
There are currently no specific treatments for coronaviruses, and there is currently no vaccine that protects against coronaviruses. Most people will recover on their own.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Get rest and sleep as much as possible.
- Try a humidifier or a hot shower to help with a sore throat or cough.
- Stay home or in your room if you are sick.
If you need immediate medical attention, you should call 911 and mention your travel history and symptoms.
How to Protect Yourself
Coronaviruses are spread mainly from person to person through close contact, for example, providing care for a person with COVID-19 in a household or health-care setting or coming into direct contact with infectious bodily fluids of a person with COVID-19.
Everyday actions can help prevent the spread of germs and viruses like COVID-19:
- Wash your hands often with warm water and soap or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home or in your room when you are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing. Practise cough etiquette (maintain distance, cover coughs and sneezes with disposable tissue or clothing, and wash hands frequently).
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Do not shake hands; fist or elbow bump instead.
Face masks are not recommended for the general public, except for people who are experiencing symptoms and who have been advised to wear a mask by a health-care provider.
Emmanuel strongly advises all students and employees to remain apprised of the changing situation. If you have questions, refer to the websites below or contact your health-care provider or Telehealth Ontario (1-866-797-0000). If you are not feeling well and remain at home or in your room, be diligent in reporting absences in a timely manner.
For students, let your instructor know the reason for your absence from class.
Emmanuel employees should follow the normal reporting process for absence from work.
Classes will continue as normal. Should the need arise to close the campus, classes will continue through our Live Online capability. Direction about how to access classes online will be provided at that time.
- Region of Waterloo
- Public Health Ontario
- The World Health Organization
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care Public Information site
- The Public Health Agency of Canada 24-hour hotline: 1-800-454-8302
- The Government of Canada’s site to help people prepare personally for emergencies
- The Ontario government website The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)