Website Yonge Street Mission
Yonge Street Mission (YSM) is a vibrant, non-profit Christian organization leading a collective movement to end chronic poverty in Toronto. Since 1896, we’ve worked to transform the lives of people living with poverty, going beyond immediate needs by offering wrap-around support via holistic programs and services, and a pathway which enables street-involved youth, families in need, adults experiencing poverty and vulnerable communities to move from surviving to thriving.
To make this happen, we are passionate about investing in the people we work with, and look for a diverse range of staff who are key for us to advance our mission: Christians who have a heart for neighbours in need, a desire to transform the lives of our community members, and who believe in treating everyone with dignity and respect.
If you are inspired by our vision and feel a true call to contribute to YSM’s work, we’d love to hear from you.
What We Offer:
As a staff member at YSM, some of the things you can look forward to include a values-based and highly collaborative and engaging work environment with a high value on staff’s mental health and well-being; meaningful, innovative and impactful work, with opportunities to make a difference in the lives of children, families, and the community, as well as flexible hybrid work arrangements. Our competitive Total Rewards compensation package also includes Group RRSP matching, annual leave and paid personal days, comprehensive health and dental care coverage, an Employee and Family Assistance Program that includes counselling services by Christian professionals, and numerous other perks.
We are seeking a Computer Education Facilitator to provide excellent computer literacy classes that help increase opportunities for success in the lives of members of our community: Adults, Youth and Families. Your focus will primarily be children and youth. Classes range from basic computer literacy, to advanced technical proficiency. Classes include: digital animation, programming, website development, Robotics, MS Office and Google Apps.
The Computer Education Facilitator will teach and facilitate computer classes ranging from basic level courses to high level of technical instruction primarily to youth, but this could include adults. You’ll also give leadership to our eight week Summer Day Camp for neighbourhood children and facilitate classroom workshops in area schools.
- Assess the computer literacy needs of children and youth in the community in consultation with YSM staff, community members and stakeholders
- Teach computer classes primarily to youth that are creative, interactive, relevant and educational; utilizing YSM’s course curriculum and daily class outlines as a guide
- Work closely with YSM staff, volunteers, tutors and external agencies, partners and stakeholders to ensure that the children and youth’s computer literacy goals are achieved
- Assist with the graduation events that celebrate the achievement of students
- Understand motivational factors for participants and generate strategies to help overcome barriers
- Design future computer courses that are relevant to all learners
- Build healthy, supportive relationships with individuals and families
- Conduct regular course evaluations and analyze results with focus on service improvement, utilizing YSM’s TIMES™ system and Salesforce software
- Connect with other agencies and network in the community to keep abreast of current trends and issues
- Maintain accurate and timely program records, budgets, statistics and reports
- Develop effective outreach strategies for children and youth
- Provide senior leadership to our Summer Day Camp program, with a focus on facilitating leadership training
The successful candidate will have the following skills and training:
- Competent, proven experience teaching in a classroom and workshop environment
- You are a quick study with a desire to learn and possess a teachable spirit
- Strong knowledge and confidence in using the MS Office Suite as well as competence with digital technology, advanced programming, editing (video/audio), animation and graphic design
- Capability to adapt to change, with a vision for creative computer literacy opportunities
- Excellent customer service and organization skills
- Leadership experience in a Day-Camp environment is an asset
- Enthusiasm for creative-transformative community programs for the whole family
- Ability to work on a team with staff, student interns and volunteers is imperative
- Excellent written and oral communication skills as well as excellent interpersonal skills and conflict resolution skills
- Multicultural, multi-ethnic and multi-faith competency
- A police check will be required
- AODA, First Aid & CPI training is an asset
- Demonstrated commitment to YSM’s principles of faith, mission and values
- Able to provide flexibility in schedule where required, with the ability to work evenings
Deadline for Application: February 6, 2023
Start Date: ASAP
Resume and cover letter should articulate your alignment with the above qualifications, and why YSM’s values, principles of faith and mission uniquely resonate with you.
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Learn more about YSM at www.ysm.ca.
Date Posted: December 16, 2022
To apply for this job please visit ysm.bamboohr.com.